Oh, these tacos! They are soooo good! I’ve made them a few times now and love the flavor, the fact that they are vegan (if you omit the super delicious goat cheese, which I do not, sorry…), and quick. These tacos are a perfect for a weeknight because they are ready in about 30 minutes and are a great, complete meal…
These tacos would be a great way to introduce someone to tofu, because it is kind of “hidden” in there with yummy veggies and goat cheese. I would also suspect that you could substitute a can of black beans for the tofu without any problem, if tofu is not your thing.
I, however, wouldn’t change a thing about them! Delicious!
Spinach, Corn, and Goat Cheese Tacos
Yield: 4 servings
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 14 oz. package extra-firm tofu, drained, patted dry, and crumbled
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt and 1/4 tsp. black pepper, plus additional
1 10 oz. package frozen corn (2 cups), thawed
1 5 oz. package baby spinach (about 6 loosely packed cups)
8 small flour tortillas, warmed
3/4 cup crumbled fresh goat cheese (3 ounces)
3/4 cup store-bought refrigerated salsa
Sliced avocado for garnish, optional
1. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add the tofu, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Add the corn and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
4. Add the spinach and an additional 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper.
5. Toss mixture until the spinach is wilted.
6. Fill the tortillas with the tofu mixture. Top evenly with goat cheese and salsa, and serve.
Source: Real Simple, March 2010