When I saw this soup on not one, not two, but three different blogs, I knew I had to make it even though the temperatures here are hovering in the mid-80s everyday. Not exactly soup weather, but I decided to crank down the A/C and make a pot.
I really should be living in a cold climate.
This soup is beyond easy and super flavorful. It comes together very quickly and would make a nice weeknight meal. I’ve really grown to love kale and it makes me feel like I’m being marginally healthy!
Grab a sweatshirt, dial down the air conditioning and have some soup!
Tortellini and Kale Soup
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
6 cups vegetable broth
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
9 oz. fresh cheese-filled tortellini
1 bunch kale, chopped
Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
1. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a dutch oven or large pot.
2. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5-6 minutes.
3. Add the garlic, tomato paste, and red pepper flakes and cook an additional minute.
4. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, beans, dried herbs. Bring to a boil and then turn down and simmer for about 15 minutes.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Stir in the kale and cook for about 5 minutes.
7. Add the tortellini, cover, and simmer until the tortellini is done, about 15 minutes.
8. Ladle soup into bowls and top with parmesan cheese if desired.