No, not the diet/lose a few pounds one.
The other one – to get organized and clean out your kitchen.
I decided to start on our candy shelf. (I don’t know what else to call it. The candy in our house has multiplied while we weren’t looking and is in various bins, bags, bowls and boxes in my pantry…) It was time to wrangle it all up, ditch a bunch, sample a few , and repurpose a what I could.
You probably already have the ingredients for the basic blondies in your pantry, so these are a really quick and simple bar cookie to whip up. I didn’t measure any of the mix-ins we used, I just added until the batter seemed fully inundated! I added: some butterscotch morsels, some white chocolate chips, some regular and some peanut M&M’s, and a bunch of chopped up Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. (Miss F wanted to add Skittles, but I steered her away from that idea pretty quick.) They turned out great – moist, peanut buttery and delicious!
About that other resolution… perhaps you should give these to your co-workers? :)
Kitchen Cleanout Blondies
8 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
Mix-ins of your choice (see ideas below)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8” baking pan with aluminum foil and spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix the brown sugar with the melted butter and beat until smooth.
4. Beat in the egg and then the vanilla.
5. Add the salt, flour and baking powder and mix until just combined.
6. Stir in your choice of mix-ins with a wooden spoon.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread to level the top.
8. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until set in the middle.
9. Allow to cool in pan on a wire rack before cutting into squares.
1/2 – 1 cup chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips or butterscotch chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans, walnuts or almonds
1/2 cup M&Ms
1/2 cup chopped Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
1/4 cup toffee pieces
1/2 tsp. mint extract (in addition to or in place of the vanilla extract)