Sorry to keep you waiting for so long. I know I mentioned last week that I needed more of this peanut butter frosting. So, I made chocolate cupcakes as a vehicle to get to more of this frosting. I swear it is like crack for me. (Not that I’ve never had actual crack, but in my world, this is it…) Turns out that the combination is totally off the chart.
I chose the chocolate cupcake from Pink Parsley and it is so perfect – chocolatey and moist. If you have a chocolate and peanut butter in your life, please make these!
I halved both recipes with no problems. Silly K. Why did I do that?
Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
Yield: 24 cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup hot, strong-brewed coffee
For the frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
3 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
To make the cupcakes:
1. Sift together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in the bowl of a mixer. Stir to combine.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
3. Add to flour mixture, and mix for 2 minutes on medium speed.
4. Turn off mixer, and pour in the hot coffee. Stir to combine.
5. Fill each muffin tin 2/3 full of batter. Bake 18-23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
To make the frosting:
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the cream cheese, butter and peanut butter until smooth.
2. Slowly mix in the confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth and well blended. Mix in the whipped topping until smooth and fluffy.