I chose to make this ice cream because Miss E loves all things chocolate and I hadn’t made a chocolate ice cream before for her. She also loves marshmallows, so I thought Rocky Road would be a good place to start!
The recipe yields a great chocolate ice cream – rich, creamy and perfectly chocolately. I will definitely be using this as my go-to chocolate ice cream for other flavor combos, even though it would be perfectly fine on its own! Both Misses loved it, but Miss E was especially smitten. :) My little chocoholic…
Rocky Road Ice Cream
2 cups heavy cream, divided
3 Tbsp. Dutch-process cocoa powder
5 oz. bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
5 large egg yolks
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
1 cup honey roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
1. In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup of the heavy cream with the cocoa powder. Warm over medium-high heat, whisking to dissolve the cocoa. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 30 seconds, whisking constantly. Remove the pan from the heat, mix in the chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth.
2. Stir in the remaining 1 cup of cream. Transfer this mixture to a medium-large mixing bowl. Set a fine mesh sieve over the top.
3. In the same saucepan, combine the milk, sugar and salt and warm the mixture over medium-high heat.
4. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. When the milk mixture is warm, gradually whisk into the egg yolks, beating constantly. Return the egg-milk mixture to the saucepan and continue heating over medium-high heat, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of the pan with a spatula, until the mixture is slightly thickened and reads 170-175° F on an instant-read thermometer.
5. Remove from the heat, pour through the mesh sieve into the chocolate-cream mixture and stir to blend. Stir in the vanilla extract.
6. Cover and chill the mixture overnight in the refrigerator.
7. Once the mixture is well chilled, freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Stir in the marshmallows and peanuts until evenly incorporated. Store in an airtight container and freeze until ready to serve.