Happy Sunday y’all!
Yes, I know. More granola. It is just so versatile and easy. As a bonus, granola recipes usually yield a pretty large quantity which means you only have to make one batch to reap the rewards for weeks.
I loved this particular version with the maple flavor, flaxseeds, and the coconut oil. Really delicious.
The egg white is supposed to make the granola stick together in bigger clumps. I opted not to use it, but want to try out the technique, so I will next time. For my batch I used: a mixture of pecans and almonds, sweetened coconut, and a mixture of dried apricots, cranberries, and cherries.
Nutty Coconut Granola
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans (or slivered almonds)
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raw pepitas or sunflower seeds
1/2 cup unsweetened or sweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup raw golden flaxseeds (optional)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup coconut oil or canola oil
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 egg white, beaten until foamy (optional)
1 1/2 cups combined dried cranberries, dried cherries, dried apricots (chopped), and dried dates (chopped)
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a 13-by-9-by-2-inch rimmed baking sheet (or glass baking dish) with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Combine the oats, nuts, pepitas, coconut, flaxseeds, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl, tossing to mix well.
3. Combine the syrup, oil and vanilla in a small saucepan and heat over medium-low heat, stirring continuously, until the syrup thins and the mixture is heated through (about 2 minutes).
4. Pour the hot syrup mixture over the oat mixture; using a rubber spatula, fold the syrup into the dry ingredients until they are evenly moistened.
5. If using, stir beaten egg white into the mixture (supposed to make the granola clumpier).
6. Transfer the oat mixture to the prepared baking dish, pressing down with a metal spatula to flatten into an even layer.
7. Place in oven and bake until the granola is light brown and fragrant and the nuts are toasted, about 45 minutes. Stir the granola once halfway through, pressing down with a spatula again after stirring.
8. Remove from oven and stir in dried fruit. Let cool completely, then store in an airtight container at room temperature.