I have a “thing” for banana bread / banana muffin recipes. Even though I have made some delicious versions of both, I feel compelled to keep trying new ones. It is such a great way to use up those almost icky bananas on the counter that no one is going to eat. (A banana pina colada is another good way…just saying…)
The Misses actually ask me to make banana bread pretty often, which is unusual because they don’t usually make requests (or rather, requests that don’t involve ice cream). They also like to help me make the bread or muffins and I love that!
These muffins turned out really, really well – flavorful and moist and the crunchy crumb topping makes them that much better! Go get those bananas from the bottom of the fruit bowl and make these, you won’t be sorry.
Banana Crumb Muffins
For the muffins:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 ripe bananas, mashed
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, melted
For the topping:
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp. butter
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease 10 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
3. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg, cinnamon and melted butter.
4. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened.
5. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
6. Make the topping: In a small bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
7. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
8. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.