In addition to the Misses, we share our house with our first child. His name is Merlin and he is a 100-pound Chesapeake Bay Retriever.
This is Merlin swimming at the Venetian Pool in Coral Gables.
We have been head-over-heels in love with this boy since we brought him home 12 years ago. Not only is Mer the smartest dog I have ever known, but he is protective (especially of me), gentle, has a great personality, and is such a huge part of our family.
I’ve been making these cookies for Merlin since he was three months old and he loves them.
I realized I hadn’t made anything special for him lately, so on a rainy afternoon, we broke out the cookie cutters and got to work. I have A LOT of cookie cutters and the Misses wanted to try almost all of them, so we have cars, trains, butterflies, an ice cream cone, a tennis racket, an outline of the USA, etc. Merlin didn’t seem to mind the random shapes! 🙂
Merlin waiting patiently.
Love you, Merlin Magoo!
This is a really easy recipe to work with. You can keep gathering and rolling out your scraps until the dough is gone. If it gets too dry, add some more water or tomato juice. I always make these at night / late afternoon and just leave them in the overnight to harden.
Fido’s Fabulous People Crackers
1/4 cup hot tap water
8 chicken bouillon cubes
1 package active dry yeast
1 tsp. sugar
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups wheat germ
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups tomato juice
1. Pour the water into large bowl. Add the chicken cubes and crush them. Stir in yeast, sugar and let stand for 5 minutes.
2. Add tomato juice, 1 cup white flour and the wheat germ.
3. Stir until smooth.
4. Stir in remainder of white and wheat flour (dough will be very dry and stiff).
5. Take a handful of dough and work into a small ball, flattening with a floured cutting board with a rolling pin.
6. Using your favorite cookie cutters, cut dough into shapes. Lift with spatula onto a cookie sheet.