No, I did not name them. Nor do I know why they are so named.
These spiced nuts are a great addition to a bar for your guests to snack on while you are mixing them a fabulous cocktail. They are lightly spiced (won’t set your mouth on fire) with a nice combo of flavors. Nice and crunchy – the perfect foil for a cool drink.
I did have to pick the pecans out and put the almonds in the oven a little bit longer to get them crispy. Next time, I will toast them lightly first before sauteing them with the spices…
Yield: four cups
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. curry powder
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
2 cups blanched whole almonds
2 cups pecan halves
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; stir in spices.
3. Add almonds, and cook 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Add pecans, stirring until coated.
5. Spread in a 15 x 10 x 1-inch jellyroll pan. Bake for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
6. Remove from oven; cool.
Source: Southern Living