So, it seems that much of the country is a little cold right now and ice cream might not be on the agenda for you. It was 87 degrees here (so said my car temperature gauge) yesterday and ice cream is definitely on the agenda for us!
(My model, Miss E wearing a Crewcuts Eiffel Tower tee. With a spot on it. Figures.)
Of all the Ben & Jerry’s ice cream flavors, my favorite has to be the Cherry Garcia Fro-Yo. It tastes rich and creamy and is not quite as nutritionally devastating as some of their other yummy flavors. When I saw this recipe on Pink Parsley, I immediately knew I wanted to try it and I am so glad I did. Definitely NOT light, but it tastes really great – the tart cherries are a nice balance to the not-so-sweet chocolate and the vanilla base.
Wherever you happen to be, 87 degrees or 27 degrees, I hope you have a great rest of your weekend!
Cherry Garcia Ice Cream
3/4 cup sugar, divided
2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
4 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups pitted and quartered cherries
1 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
1. Heat milk, cream, and 1/2 cup sugar in a medium saucepan over low heat until sugar has dissolved, stirring often.
2. Meanwhile, beat egg yolks with remaining sugar until they are pale yellow and fluffy.
3. Add 1/2 cup milk mixture to the eggs and stir to combine. Pour egg mixture into saucepan, and cook, stirring constantly, 10-20 minutes, or until mixture has thickened and it coats the back of a spoon.
4. Add vanilla extract.
5. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium bowl and chill overnight.
6. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on your ice cream maker to churn.
7. When finished, fold in cherries and chocolate.
8. Freeze until ready to serve.
Source: Pink Parsley