Last week was a bit of a calorie-fest for me – lots of eating out and yummy things to tempt me…
So I am starting this week with a renewed devotion to eating healthy foods, cooking at home, and giving my body some good running fuel. First up, breakfast! My current trend of granola/yogurt/fruit for breakfast continues and I have a new granola recipe to share with you. Unlike the previous version, this granola has dates and almonds coated with a molasses and honey mixture. It is really good! The cinnamon works really nicely with the molasses and honey, and I just love dates. As a bonus, it is from Cooking Light, which normally makes me feel like it might really be good for me. 🙂
Fruit ‘n Nut Granola
Yield: about 6 cups
4 cups regular oats
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup water
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup chopped pitted dates
1 cup raisins
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, and stir mixture well.
3. Combine honey, molasses, water, and oil in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil.
4. Remove from heat; pour over oat mixture, stirring well to coat.
5. Spoon mixture onto a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray; spread evenly.
6. Bake at 325° for 40 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring every 10 minutes.
7. Remove from oven; stir in dates and raisins.
8. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Source: Cooking Light, March 1999