This one is full of all kinds of yumminess – coconut, cherries, nuts and pumpkin seeds (or peptitas – I found mine by the spices at Publix) – sweetened up and baked to perfection.
See that bag of cherries there? It is from Whole Foods (as is the wide-flake coconut – I couldn’t find it anywhere else) and when I tell you that the Misses and I have now eaten most of those dried cherries straight from the bag, I wouldn’t be lying. They’re not really sour, like it says on the bag, just sweet and a little tart and a lot addictive.
I wanted to make another batch of this granola after I tasted how good it is, but it seems I’ll have to go get some more cherries first.
Yield: About 7 1/2 cups
2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup unsweetened large-shred coconut (about 1/2 inch wide)
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1/2 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup water
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2/3 cup dried tart cherries
1. Position rack in top third of oven and preheat to 325 degrees. Grease a heavy large baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
2. Combine first 5 ingredients in large bowl.
3. Bring sugar, water, and oil to boil in heavy medium saucepan, stirring occasionally.
4. Add sugar mixture to oat mixture and stir with a fork until well combined.
5. Spread evenly on prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
6. Stir mixture with spatula, bake for 10 minutes longer then stir in cherries.
7. Bake until golden brown, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes longer.
8. Stir mixture and cool completely.
9. Store in a large airtight container.
Source: Bon Appetit, June 1993 p.38