More delicious granola for you. I’m sure some people wish I would get off the granola train and make some French toast or something for breakfast. Oh well, this is my blog and if I want to post about my granola obsession, I will. Although French toast does sound good…hmmm.
There is a lot going on in this granola – dates, almonds, coconut, cashews and a good helping of allspice. All of these combine to make a granola that is very nutty and sweet and substantial. I have yet to meet anyone who doesn’t like cashews and I love the addition of them into this mix.
This is perfect on top of a little Greek yogurt with some honey.
Chunky Date, Coconut and Almond Granola
Yield: About 6 cups
2 cups old-fashioned oats
3/4 cup whole almonds, halved
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/3 cup (packed) brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
2 Tbsp. honey
1 cup (packed) pitted dates, each cut crosswise into thirds
1. Preheat oven to 300. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine the first 7 ingredients in large bowl and set aside.
3. Melt butter with honey in heavy small saucepan over low heat. Pour over granola mixture and mix well.
4. Spread out mixture on lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add the chopped dates, mixing the granola to separate any clumps. Continue to bake until the granola is golden brown, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes longer. Cool on pan.
Note: This can be made 2 weeks ahead. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Source: Bon Appetit, October 1992 p. 47