S’mores month has taken a backseat to life around here… The month is almost half over and in between camps, trips, work, shopping for school uniforms and supplies, I haven’t delivered in the marshmallow-chocolate-graham cracker category.
That changes right now!
I made these bars for a dinner at our house knowing that they were the perfect sneak-another-little-sliver dessert that D’s dad likes. As we sit around the dining room table talking after dinner, he’s a break another little piece off kind of guy. So I knew if I put a plate of these out with a knife (near him!), it would all be good! 🙂 The girls loved them too, but what’s not to love? S’mores are great as is, but add peanut butter AND mini peanut butter cups and they become insane!
I dare you to eat one little piece.
Peanut Butter Crunch S’mores Bars
Yield: 12 to 16 bar cookies, depending on how you cut them
5 whole graham crackers (about 5 x 2 1/2 inch rectangles)
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter (can use crunchy if you want)
1 1/2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1/3 cup mini peanut butter cups
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Spray an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line the pan with parchment paper, letting it overhang on opposite sides so it is easier to lift the bars out.
3. Arrange the graham crackers in a single layer to cover the bottom of the pan, breaking them into smaller pieces as needed to fit.
4. Sprinkle the marshmallows evenly over the graham crackers. Bake 7 – 8 minutes, until the marshmallows are puffy.
5. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
6. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips, corn syrup and butter and microwave in 30 second increments on 50% power, stirring in between each, until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth – about 1 1/2 minutes.
7. Stir peanut butter into the chocolate.
8. Stir in the Rice Krispies until well combined.
9. Sprinkle the mini peanut butter cups evenly over the cooled marshmallows.
10. Press the Rice Krispies mixture into an even layer on top.
11. Cover and refrigerate the bars until firm (about one hour).
12. Use the parchment overhang to lift the bars out of the pan. Cut into squares. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.