More banana goodies due to some erroneous buying!
These muffins, oh these muffins!
They are so good. The Misses ate them warm out of the oven and completely scarfed them down.
The recipe calls for Nutella, which I thought we had in the pantry. We did not, which I discovered after making the batter. Improvising, we have a jar of Dark Chocolate Dreams, a peanut butter-dark chocolate blend that D picked up at Whole Foods. I made one Nutella-filled muffin from a little tasting pack we have and the other 11 from the peanut butter stuff.
Either one is delicious! I tried my Nutella version before these pictures and then proceeded to eat another peanut buttery half for my lunch yesterday while I was taking pictures. With a glass of cold skim milk. Delish.
If can resist them warm from the oven, just nuke for 11 or so seconds for a gooey center. 🙂
Filled Banana Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins
1 cup ripe mashed bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
6 Tbsp. Nutella or Dark Chocolate Dreams
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease, or line with paper liners, a 12 cup muffin tin.
2. In bowl of an electric mixer, combine mashed bananas, oil, sugar, and salt. Beat until fully combined.
3. Add egg and vanilla and beat until mixture is smooth. Remove bowl from mixer
4. In a medium bowl, combine both flours, baking soda, and baking powder.
5. Sift flour mixture over banana mixture. Using a rubber spatula, stir until just combined.
6. Place a spoonful of batter into each muffin cup.
7. Place a 1/2 Tbsp. of Nutella or peanut butter into the center of each cup.
8. Top each with another spoonful of batter to completely cover the filling. (Trust me – it will look really scant and you won’t think there is enough for 12, but it works!)
9. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until tops are lightly golden brown.
Adapted from: Food and Whine