I can’t believe I didn’t post these sooner given the amount of “oohing” and “aahing” they elicited from D and Miss F, the two dark chocolate lovers in the house!
I made this for a birthday and, after halving the recipe, only kept four. Miss E and I prefer milk chocolate, so it worked out fine! (Except for the part about Miss E telling me it wasn’t fair that Miss F got cupcakes and she doesn’t like dark chocolate so when was I going to make some that she liked so Miss F wouldn’t get any? over and over again… That was fun.)
These cupcakes were rich, moist and dark chocolatey, but the ganache and sea salt take them totally over the edge. Really, really good! If you’re a dark chocolate fan – these are definitely the sweet treats for you! Enjoy!
Salted Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
Yield: 24 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder (or any unsweetened cocoa powder)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup lukewarm coffee (decaf is okay)
Coarse sea salt, for garnish
For the chocolate ganache frosting:
18 oz. dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
To make the cupcakes:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two cupcake tins with paper liners and set aside.
2. In the bowl of electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
4. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt until combined.
5. In another bowl, stir together buttermilk and coffee.
6. Add dry ingredients to creamed butter mixture alternately with liquid ingredients, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients and beating well after each addition.
7. Fill prepared baking cups two-thirds full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
8. Cool for 10 minutes in pans before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
9. Top with chocolate ganache frosting (instructions below) and finish with a sprinkle of sea salt.
To make chocolate ganache frosting:
1. Place the chopped chocolate in a small heat-proof bowl.
2. Heat the heavy cream in a small saucepan until it just reaches a boil. Remove from heat and immediately pour over the chocolate.
3. Stir slowly until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth.
4. Let it cool until it reaches room temperature, about 1-2 hours. (It will continue to thicken the longer it sets.)
5. Spread or pipe the ganache onto the cupcakes. (If the ganache seems too thin for piping, you can transfer it to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat it on medium-high for 3-5 minutes until it reaches a better consistency for piping.)
Source: Gimme Some Oven