May I just say that these are good?
As in really good.
As in crunchy, ice cream sanwichy good.
The Misses were in dessert heaven.
There seem to be a lot going on in the crunchy layer – Rice Krispies, pecans, coconut – but it all comes together in this sweet, toasted mix.
It is a little difficult to spread the ice cream over the toasted mixture, but I let my ice cream get really soft (probably too much?) to make it easier – that’s why it seeped through the bottom crust a little. (No one minded this little detail…) Next time I think I will use a 9 x 9-inch pan so that the layers are thicker.
Ice Cream Crunch Bars
2 1/2 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
1 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
8 Tbsp. butter (1 stick), melted
1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, softened to the consistency of soft serve
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a 9×13 inch pan with foil, extending a little over the edges of pan.
2. Combine Rice Krispies, pecans, coconut, and brown sugar in a 9 × 13 inch pan.
3. Drizzle melted butter over mixture and combine well with a fork or clean hands.
4. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring once or twice during cooking time.
5. Remove from oven and let mixture cool completely in pan.
6. Remove half of toasted mixture to a bowl. Spread remaining half in an even layer on the bottom of pan.
7. Spoon the softened ice cream on top of mixture. Very carefully spread the ice cream evenly, making sure not to lift the toasted mixture from bottom of pan.
8. Top evenly with remaining toasted mixture and gently press into the ice cream with your hands.
9. Cover pan with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refreeze until firm (preferably overnight.)
10. When ready to serve, use the overhanging foil to completely remove ice cream from pan. Slice into squares to serve.
Source: Adapted from Our Best Bites