Hope everyone is starting their week with a margarita to celebrate Cinco de Mayo! As if I really need an excuse to drink a margarita. A regular Monday is a margarita day…
To celebrate Cinco de Mayo in our casa tonight, we will be having chicken tacos, queso blanco, the aforementioned margaritas, and, of course, guacamole.
The notes from this recipe indicate that the recipe was created by the California Avocado Commission for the Denver Broncos trip to the Superbowl against Green Bay in 1998. Apparently this guac beat out the Green Bay Packers’ Cheesehead Guacamole (that just sounds gross) at a pre-Super Bowl taste test. (They also won the Super Bowl incidentally – Thanks Wikipedia!)
I’ve made this recipe scores of times (see what I did there? pun intended…) and it is always great.
Denver Tailgate Guacamole
Yield: 12 servings
2 Haas avocados
3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup diced onion
3 Tbsp. chopped tomato
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. minced cilantro leaves
1. Cut avocados in half and remove seeds with a spoon.
2. Scoop out pulp and place in a medium bowl.
3. Drizzle pulp with lemon juice and mash, leaving some chunks intact.
4. Add onion, tomato, salt, and cilantro; mix well. Add hot sauce to taste.
5. Serve with tortilla chips.
Source: Houston Chronicle