In honor of National S’mores Day, I give you gooey, marshmallowy, chocolatey treats!
These could not have been easier to make and are absolutely delicious! The Misses went crazy over them (perhaps that was all the sugar…) and said they were one of the best things I’ve made for them. Chewy, soft cookie bars with marshmallow creme and chocolate bars sandwiched in between? Totally addictive.
My only change was that the original recipe called for a cup of the marshmallow creme and I used the whole jar otherwise I would have missed some parts. If you can’t get the top layer to totally cover the marshmallow (as you can tell from the photos that I couldn’t…) don’t sweat it – the part that “escapes” the crust gets all browned and crispy like a good roasted marshmallow should!
[Oh, and isn’t the platter so cute? Pier One, on sale!]
Happy S’mores Day! 🙂
Summer S’more Cookie Bars
Yield: 16 cookies (depending on how you cut)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
4 (1.55 oz. each) milk chocolate bars (I used Hershey’s)
1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow creme
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease (non-stick cooking spray is o.k.) an 8-inch square baking pan; set aside.
2. Beat butter and sugar in bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
3. Add egg and vanilla; beat well.
4. In a small mixing bowl, stir together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture, beating until blended.
5. Press half of the dough into the prepared pan.
6. Arrange chocolate bars over the dough, breaking to fit as needed.
7. Spread marshmallow creme carefully atop the chocolate. Scatter bits of dough evenly over marshmallow and carefully press to form a layer.
8. Bake 30 – 35 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool completely in pan on a wire rack then cut into bars.
Source: Just Ask Boo