It has been quite a while since I have posted a Sunday Breakfast entry – June of last year to be exact! Yikes! I’ve been a little dull lately eating my usual breakfast (egg whites with spinach or broccoli) and wanted to add another option to the mix. You know I love a good granola (see here, here and here for some favorites) so when I saw the title of this recipe, I knew I wanted to try it.
This granola has really great flavor – the sweetness of the honey and syrup with the toasted pecans is terrific! Crunchy and light in texture, this has been great sprinkled atop vanilla yogurt.
The original recipe says to bake for 35-40 minutes, but I was watching like a hawk (after burning the last bunch of granola I attempted 😦 ) and saw it was done after about 20-25 minutes, so just check it at about the 20 minute mark to gauge how much time you have left. Granola goes from brown to burnt in a blink…Trust me on this.
Have a wonderful rest of your weekend!
Bourbon Butter Pecan Granola
3/4 cup chopped raw pecans
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1/4 tsp. salt
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup bourbon whiskey
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, combine pecans, butter, and salt; set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine oats, syrup, honey, and bourbon and mix until thoroughly combined.
3. Add pecan mixture to oats and stir to combine.
4. Press evenly onto the prepared cookie sheet.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring once in the middle of baking time. (Check after about 20 minutes to ensure the granola is not too brown.)
6. Let cool completely in pan on cooling rack. Store in an airtight container.
Source: Adapted from A Local Choice