Hi y’all – Happy Friday!
I first made this cornbread to serve at an impromptu dinner at our house. I loved it so much that I offered to bring cornbread to a potluck Superbowl Sunday chili cook-off just so I could make it again! (I ended up making another basic recipe – no cheese or peppers – just in case. It was yummy too!)
I never did get a good picture, but don’t let that stop you from making this. The recipe is from Ina Garten, who has yet to fail me. The cornbread turns out moist, but still crumbly enough. I added more jalapeño and left some seeds in for heat, because that’s what I do…
The cornbread is a great side to these One-Pot Pinto Beans. I’ve made them twice now and can’t rave about them enough!
Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread
Yield: 12 or 16 pieces
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. baking powder
2 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups milk
3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, plus extra to grease the pan
8 oz. aged extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, grated, divided
1/3 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts, plus extra for garnish (about 3 scallions)
3 Tbsp. seeded and minced fresh jalapeño peppers (2 or 3 peppers)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking pan. (Glass is okay.)
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and butter.
4. With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until most of the lumps are dissolved. Be careful not to overmix!
5. Mix in 2 cups of the grated Cheddar, the scallions and jalapeños.
6. Let the mixture sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Smooth the batter and sprinkle the remaining grated Cheddar and extra chopped scallions on top.
8. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
9. Cool and cut into large squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Source: Barefoot Contessa at Home, p. 154