I mean, really? How cute are these?
I made these for no particular reason except that it is spring and they are so damn cute! The overall effect is great, but if you look closely, they have character! Some looked angry and some look sweet depending on how the raisin eyes are cut…
The one on the right looks particularly peeved. 🙂
I even felt a little bad eating them because they were so cute…
I’ve never made deviled eggs before this, so I followed the recipe below and found it too vinegary for my taste. You can substitute your favorite deviled egg recipe and just decorate as shown.
Deviled Egg Chicks
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp. ground mustard
1 tsp. white vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1. Place eggs in a large pot of cold water and bring to boil. Once the water has reached a boil, remove the pot from heat and cover.
2. Let sit for 30 minutes. Immediately place eggs in ice water for 10 minutes to stop the cooking. Remove shells.
3. Carefully cut eggs in half lengthwise and scoop cooked yolks into a bowl. Add mayo, mustard, vinegar, and a dash of salt and pepper. Mix until smooth. (I used an immersion blender to get most of the lumps out.)
4. Place yolk mixture into the cooked egg whites. I piped mine in with a pastry bag. You can also place the mixture in a plastic zipper bag, cut a hole in the corner and pipe it that way.
5. To decorate as chicks, use thin slices of baby carrots as feet. Cut triangular pieces of carrots for beaks. Cut tiny pieces of raisins for eyes.